Canadian Wilderness Stewardship Program
Programme des Gardiens de la Faune Canadienne
Do you share our love of New Brunswick’s wilderness, and want to help us protect it? If so, read on!
The Canadian Wilderness Stewardship Program (CWSP) is an educational experience designed to inspire the next generation of environmental stewards in Canada by connecting youth to nature and their local communities.
Through CWSP, you’ll develop unique skills and network with other youth in our province who share your passion for the environment. All the while, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from professionals in a variety of environmental-based fields, inspiring activists and Indigenous Elders and Knowledge Keepers.
Empowering New Brunswick’s Next Generation
The three core components of the program are:
- A CPAWS-led wilderness expedition to a regional area in need of protection;
- A participant-led, volunteer community service project focused on conservation or education; and
- A summit where participants share knowledge and develop skills in civic engagement, conservation, leadership, and advocacy.
The expeditions are led by CPAWS New Brunswick staff and knowledgeable guiding companies, and include opportunities for hiking, paddling, and/or general outdoor exploration in the participant’s local region. CPAWS’ staff also provide guidance to participants in developing their community service projects. The program culminates in a summit, where participants have the opportunity to meet one another, share their projects, and develop skills to further their conservation work.
The Eligibility Requirements are:
- Must be between 18-30 years old
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or granted refugee status in Canada
- Must reside in New Brunswick; check here for opportunities in other regions
- Must demonstrate an interest in the conservation of Canada’s wilderness
- Must have access to a computer and an internet connection
The Canadian Wilderness Stewardship Program is funded by the Government of Canada under the Canada Service Corps program.
Current & Past Projects
Learn more about the projects developed by the CWSP participants. Current year. Past years.
Apprenez-en plus sur les projets développés par les participants du PGFC. Année actuelle. Les années passées.
Applications are now closed for the 2022-23 Canadian Wilderness Stewardship Program.
Les candidatures sont maintenant fermées pour l’année 2022-23 de le Programme des gardiens de la faune canadienne.
Banner photo by Cameron Lane.